Only a couple of days until our precious little boy turns one year old. He used to be ... so sweet ... so precious ... so cuddly ... so soothing ... a little angel sent to earth ... NOT ANY MORE! Some call it a "personality" I call it defiance in such a precious little child! Where does it come from? And how does it come so fast? I used to love to watch his little cry that was merely a squeak ... now he can shatter windows with his squealing scream. I know all of this defiance can be channeled into positive things later in life, but right now I am just trying to figure out how to handle it in a 1 year old. The second I say the word "NO" you can almost see the world crumbling around you as he bursts into dramatic tears and cries as though he saw a monster! I do not tell you these stories without pictures either! Check these out! I have documented a "Peyton Temper Tantrum"!
First he does a "naughty naughty no no" so I tell him "no no". He is initially un-phased by the "no no" so he moves on to another "naughty naughty no no"

Now he is playing with the DVD player. He KNOWS this one is bad. He is even sneaky about it most of the time. He likes to open and close the CD holder by pushing the big green button that is just
beckoning his touch! This time I tell him "no no" again ... but for some reason this time triggered the dramatics!
Look at that face my friends! I have not even done anything at this point ... I have just told him "no no"! Can we say drama king?! But this is only the beginning ... there are still a couple more phases to his temper tantrum! Next is the "throw myself on the floor" part!
While he has himself thrown on the floor with a shrilling scream coming from his mouth and hands and feet flailing around angrily I am still just watching (and taking a picture of course). But I tried to remain non responsive to his behavior. He finally stopped abruptly and looked up at me to see what I was doing. When he noticed I was not even watching him he proceeded to just chill out ... this time anyways!

I do not mean to sound harsh, I love my precious little "angel" more than anything in the world. I am just a little astounded at how much
ugliness can come out of such a cute little boy. Even in all of his
tantrums, he looks cute as a button to me ... I just know it will not be cute forever so I better get a grip on it now! Oh and by the way ... I have NO IDEA where he got all this attitude from ... seriously ... it must have been Ryan! I was always an angel as a child ... thus the name ANGELA! He he =)
7 comments:
Haha! I had an English teacher in high school that said she refused to name her kids Angela, Angel, Christian or Jesus because those were always the worst behaved kids in her classes.
oh he looks so adorable in his little outfit throwing a fit.
you are doing the right thing, keep it up!
I'm so glad to see this. Tyler just started to throw a fit this weekend for the first time and you're right - it's so sad. They used to be so sweet and lovable! lol. He hasn't started the throwing himself on the ground yet, but now, if we block his path to a "naughty naughty no no" or take one away, he puts on this big crying show (that of course always stops the instant he sees something else he wants). Doesn't he know we're smarter than that!? LOL!!
oh, yes the tantrums. Not fun AT ALL. Here's where parenting is not so fun anymore. :) But yes, keep up the dicipline! He won't act this way forever.
Stay strong Angela! I think every kid does this and they all (hopefully) grow out of it. However, I am not looking forward to Maddy doing it.
He is still so cute even when he is screaming. :) I read somewhere that when kids are going through a growth spurt that they are overly cranky for a while, but it goes away. I don't know anything about it.. just something I read in Parenting magazine a Barbie's house LOL.
Awww, temper tantrums are so hard to deal with. It's a trying time for mom and kid!
Post a Comment