Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dave Ramsey Update

Debt free!

Well except for our house of course. It feels amazing! We have never had much if any credit card debt, but we still had debt. With my grad program costing us about 10K a year we had serious student loans. Both mine and Ryan's student loans are paid off and we will be paying cash for the remainder of my program. I want to say 100 times over that it feels AMAZING! I owed my parents money from before Ryan and I got married and we have that paid off now. And the other big thing was my Invisiline ... and it too is paid for (sigh of relief).

When we started the Dave Ramsey program I did not really understand how rewarding it would be. I knew that God tells us to be good stewards of our money. I knew that this would make it possible for me to stay home. I knew this was the going to be "good" for us in the long run. But I had no idea how wonderful it would make me feel. It also makes me enormously proud of my husband. Notice how most of that debt is from me ...? I am one expensive wifey I guess! Ryan is doing SO good at making this work for us, GREAT JOB Hubby!

It truly is "Financial Peace". And we just finished step 2, I think there are 6 steps right?! We still have a long way to go, but each step just feels so darn good! To those of you a step behind us, hang in there it is so worth it. And to those of you ahead of us, thank you for keeping me motivated by your diligence! I love hearing from all of you on how you make this work for your family. Our envelopes are all so different, yet our goals are the same.

For those of you doing Dave Ramsey, how is it working for you?!

6 comments:

Megan said...

Congratulations Angela! This is most definitely PRAISE WORTHY. Thank you Lord! We have a long, loooooong way to go- to pay off debt, but this is a huge inspiration- thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

Congrats! That is really exciting! We aren't doing Dave Ramsey persay, but I guess based on what I've read about his program we are employing several of his techniques. We don't do envelopes though. We built up a small amount of credit card debt over the holidays and with a bunch of our new baby purchases. We're moving to a new place in a few weeks that will save us quite a bit on rent though and our first plan is to pay off all the credit cards with the "extra" we are saving, then move on to our student loans, then onto the Bakersfield house with extra payments there. We may not ever actually pay the house off though. Each year when our renter's lease is up we are going to evaluate the market and hopefully, eventually sell it without losing anything. Then we'll really be debt free.

Talia said...

congrats!! That's amazing!! It must feel SO good to have that step accomplished!!

now, go celebrate by treating yourself to something expensive.

oh, wait.... ;)

Olive Oyl said...

Eeek! So awesome!

We are still on the first step... but hopefully we'll be on to step two by next spring. Pesky school loans... :(

Thanks for keeping me strong with this plan. It is so nice to have a support system to keep me motivated!

Cheri said...

Yay! Congratulations, Angela! It's working great for us too....who knew a little common sense could be so exciting!? lol

Sunny said...

That has got to feel so good! I can't wait until we're completely debt free. I really hope we will be this year but we'll have to see what the year brings.